Grace

Sometimes in life, we are too hard on ourselves, and also on others.  Today, I've been thinking a lot about grace.  It started when my brother in law and I had the conversation about how we both are so-called perfectionists, in that we require perfection from ourselves in our own work and then critique ourselves to the point where nothing is good enough. But if someone else were to have done the exact same thing the exact same way they would have done it perfectly.  Interesting, huh?  And then as I've worked all night on some projects I was catching up on, the enemy tried to convince me I was screwing it all up and making mistakes here and there that were affecting other people, and I just got down on myself.

Then, my Father, and the Redeemer that He is, reminded me of His grace.  Of how good and sufficient it is.  How it is more than enough, that it covers all my mistakes, and it gives me second and tenth and one hundredth chances. And even when I may assume (whether rightly or wrongly) that other people in the situation are not pouring their own grace upon me, it does not matter. Because His grace is sufficient for me.  His power is made perfect in my weakness.
And I will have weakness. I am weak.  But when I am weak, then I am strong. Because of Him.  Not because of me. I am human. I WILL mess up!  It's inevitable.  But He covers all that.  He is enough. 
He hasn't called me to perfection, to a mess-free life.  He loves that the most because then I HAVE to rely on Him. Because then I have to realize His grace is enough!   Because then I get to realize I am nothing without Him.  And that His death and resurrection means EVERYTHING.
And all of this also reminds me to have grace on others.  Like Christ does for me.  Because none of us are perfect.  And I can't hold some people to a higher expectation than others, give some a lot of grace and others hardly any.  We are ALL imperfect. We are ALL in desperate need of His grace.  We WILL mess up, as long as we are on this earth.

Praise God, oh how we NEED him. 
I lie here in bed writing this at almost 4 in the morning, listening to the rain and a song about healing rain falling down going on in my head and heart.  Realizing this is just what God is doing in the spiritual and in the physical.  Right now, even just for me, He's doing it.  Cause that's who He is.  And that's what He does.

He is so so good.  And He loves us so so much. And He will do whatever whenever to show us that!  
He never ever gives up on us. The Almighty God loves us. You, me, us. 

What grace in itself.

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

Laura C. Brandenburg said...

Love this post, Abby. I will never fathom the fullness of His grace or all that He offers me. But I will gladly receive it!

Back
to top